Monday, November 22, 2010

Helping Others

Yesterday I spent most of the day at my church preparing Thanksgiving boxes for pick up today.  The boxes included everything needed for a Thanksgiving dinner, plus a few extra meals.  When I say everything, I mean EVERYTHING!  Not only do the recipients get the cake mix and frosting, but the eggs and oil too!  Like using evaporated milk in your mac and cheese?  It's in there!  Don't forget to put some extra butter on those yams!  Turkey, stuffing, green beans, peas....  There are 79 families that now do not have to worry about not being able to have a great Thanksgiving meal.

The Thanksgiving boxes have been a project for the Sr. Mission II of my church for some time, although this is just the second year that I've participated in packing the boxes.  The lady who has overseen this project the past few years is looking forward to some well-deserved rest, and is grooming some of the younger ladies to take over, meaning the Jr. Mission group of which I am a member.  There is so much to keep track of and a lot to prepare, but in the end it's worth it.  I don't know if I'm ready to be responsible for such a big project, but I will definitely continue to participate if I can.

As I continue to decide what form I want this blog to have, I have decided that on Sundays I will have "Sunday Sayings."  I intend for the "Sunday Sayings" to step away from the crafting world for a moment and hopefully give you a little bit of inspiration for the other areas of your life.  The Sayings may be a verse of Scripture, or a meaningful quote, or even just a tidbit of conversation I caught as I passed by.  Packing the Thanksgiving boxes helped me to remember how blessed I am and how fortunate I am that I can provide a Thanksgiving meal for my family, and also help someone else provide for theirs.  While crafting is a great hobby and can be a wonderful escape from some of life's realities, there really is much more to life.  Hopefully the "Sunday Sayings" will help us to remember that.

Wishing you and yours a very Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment